Friday, February 18, 2011

Who Is Ike?

I don't think that Ike Davis is much of a singer... or that he's a drug user... or that he'll marry Tina Turner and abuse her. Some people see Ike Davis and see Adam LaRoche: a streaky power hitter who is good but not great. Some people see John Olerud who was an amazing talent in a goofy batting helmet. I see someone slightly different. Let us take a peek at the numbers, shall we?

Ike Davis:

Adam LaRoche:

John Olerud:

Lets try something on for a second... There we go, what do you think? Okay, so Ike has shown more power than Keith, but that was a different era in baseball. Both sparkle defensively and while Keith was not a 30 HR guy like Ike, he did power the middle of the lineup and provide a steady bat. Click on the image below to take a look.

Keith Hernandez:
Ike vs. Adam - Ike already reach LaRoche last season. Only... with a whole lot more defense. However why would we assume that Davis has peaked and peg him as an Adam LaRoche. Sure... the comparison works today but the hope with young players is that they develop.

Ike vs. John - God I wish... Ike Davis is not the same type of hitter Olerud was. Olerud was a tremendous contact hitter AND a stout defender. I think that Olerud and Ike have little actually in common.

Ike vs. Keith - You know... now that I see him with the mustache... Keith's numbers moved into the future 20 years might look pretty similar... depending on inflation. If I need to make a comparison I make it here because of what I saw from Ike last year and what Keith gave the Mets in their lineup. Both players provided the same type of lift and I think it's the most apt comparison.

This is Phlavio Phega and, if it relates to the Mets, I have an opinion.

No comments: