New York Mets
The Mets are 9 and 13 after winning four straight. That means that we were recently 5 and 13 with almost no reason to field a team. They are in last place and, as you might expect, the 4 Ace Phillies are in first. Why should you be happy?
- Have you heard? Jason Bay is back.
- David Wright is lining up to have excellent production.
- Jose Reyes looks like an All-Star again.
- Carlos Beltran is healthy.
- Chris Young is back.
- Dillon Gee looks like a real-deal MLB starter.
- Mike Pelfrey and Jonathan Niese might not be heading for the glue factory.
- Pedro Beato looks like an A+ Rule V pick.
- K-Rod has trade buzz.
- Luis Castillo and Ollie Perez are gone and never coming back.
Haven't we already been through the ringer with most of these guys? This team was supposed to have a lot of talent on it and they are only 8 and 11. Fernando Martinez is the biggest name on the roster and he's already been hurt this year. Why should you be happy?
- Kirk Nieuwenhuis is hitting a lot (15-game hitting streak)
- Kirk Nieuwenhuis is hitting for power (8 Doubles 3 HRs)
- Fernando Martinez is back (also hit a PH HR)
- Ruben Tejada has become a hitter.
- Jenrry Mejia look like he'll be ready for the MLB rotation later this year.
- Chris Schwinden and Jorge De La Torre look like they could be solid MLB bullpen guys.
Another sub .500 team? Am I supposed to buy that the team will produce stars when they can't beat other AA teams? The top player is some kid I've never even heard of. Why should I be happy?
- Joshua Satin named EL player of the week.
- He's hitting .327 and powering the offense largely alone.
- He and I have similarly massive eyebrows.
- Alright... the real reason. PITCHING!
- Brad Holt (Remember Him?) 0.50 ERA, 18 IP, 14 Ks, 0.78 WHIP.
- Mark Cohoon 0.47 ERA, 19 IP, 20 Ks, 1.00 WHIP.
- Robert Carson 1.69 ERA, 16 IP, 16 Ks, 1.19 WHIP.
- Jordany Valdespin is walking more? (And hitting less)
Port St. Lucie Mets
Wait... this team doesn't fit. They're 17 and 2. The team has 9 players hitting over .280. The team has 4 starters with ERA's under 4.00. Clearly this team will have a few things to be happy about.
- Pedro Zapata is a base stealing CF. He's hitting .400 and has stolen 8 bags in 8 attempts.
- Francisco Pena has the body for power and is at least hitting for average.
- Matt Den Dekker has good gap power and excellent tools.
- Jefry Marte is exceeding every one's expectations and basically re-establishing his value.
- Wilmer Flores started slow, but has heated up. The power will return this is how he typically finds his groove. (He's hitting .297)
- Caesar Puello is also finding his groove and looks to be turning the corner in A+.
- Matt Harvey... He's 4 and 0 in 4 starts. He's got a 0.00 ERA with 27 K's in 22 innings. This is his first year in the minors and he's already demanding to move up in the system. (Not verbally)
- Jeurys Familia... He's had less luck in his starts. He's only 1 and 0 but his 0.35 ERA and 25 Ks are pretty sweet. Sweeter still is his 0.62 WHIP.
- Nicholas Carr is establishing himself as a potential late inning relief man.